Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Desert Oil

So today I looked at my tuition bill and something that has been pissing most of the nation off for a few months now has become even more real to me. It becomes clear that the world revolves around GAS not money like we all previously believed. I am positive that part of the incredible increase in my tuition bill has to do with the heating and cooling of those huge buildings on campus. Also, apparently UW-Milwaukee is no longer offering the bus pass students once received. I wonder why! And I'm pretty sure my energy bill might force me to live in an igloo this winter. Those, and the fact that I am not able to visit my mom because of ludicrous airline prices, are personal reasons this oil crisis has me down. But that's just me being self-involved.

The war. I think we all know by now that this is not a war on terrorism (but it makes soldiers feel better if they think they are shooting the actual people responsible for 9/11)- this is a war geared at the world's cheapest oil and where it happens to exist. Obviously there are a million things I could say about the war right now- but let's just put it this way: if kharma exists, America is Screwed! But is it our fault for being blinded to what is really going on- I mean can you honestly answer this: Are we winning?

I'd say losing 4,000 men in Iraq (let's not forget the 100,000 that were wounded) and the highest gas prices we've seen in this nation is LOSING. Oh, but gas has gone down 15 cents! We must be winning now! In all seriousness, we have no clue what's going on over there. But I will say this: the people I do know who are in or have been in Iraq would rather eat dirt than talk about what goes on over there.

No comments: